Friday, June 27, 2008

Mixtape challenge for music fans

Special open discussion topic today for music fans. Is it possible to do a satisfying survey of American popular music for a mostly uninitiated audience in one CD?

Some of the conversations I’ve had with people here are about American music, and so far all people know about are Michael Jackson, “Hit Me Baby One More Time,” and the soundtrack to The Titanic (and Celine Dion is Canadian!) Unlike in Japan, I haven’t found any fanboy types who take pride in knowing more about American culture than their peers. Maybe they just aren’t that interested.

But I’m going to try and spur some interest. With the library of music on my computer I’m making a mix tape for a couple of friends, to be titled American Essentials. We’re talking about an audience just about totally unaware of American popular music.

Here are my parameters:

-American only. We’ll tackle The Beatles, Neil Young, Culture Club, and AC/DC another time.
-Representative of something essential about American culture or the history of American music.
-Youth-oriented: transgressive, disruptive and thrilling in its time.
-Obscurity is no virtue. The more one could follow up on an interest by hunting on the internet, the better.
-It has to fit on an 80-minute CD.

I've been sticking to popular music apart for jazz for now, and that still only leaves about 3 songs per decade. I haven’t gotten much further than Bob Wills, Big Mama Thornton, and Wilson Pickett and I’ve filled the CD. I don’t know how I’ll ever find room for Liz Phair, the Pixies and The Fugees.

Let me know what would be on your American Essentials Mixtape.

-Robert