Friday, June 27, 2008

Surprising things about Hanoi




Posted by Picasa
In summary, there were several things that surprised me about Hanoi because I’m used to Saigon:

-More people spoke English, which was good because none of my Vietnamese for ordering food in Saigon seemed to be understood here.
-More French architectural influence.
-More French tourists.
-More French food.
-More touting.
-Much much more expensive.
-And it is more of a tourist town. It’s kind of like going from a southern city like Atlanta or Dallas to New Orleans and visiting the French Quarter. Neat to see, but it feels less like real life and more like a hustle.


Details, notes and advice for other interested travelers:
I don't have a basis for comparison, but I was satisfied with the Citygate Hotel for the price. The owner was super nice. He has his ways of economizing, but I suppose it’s similar to other backpacker hotels. He insists that everyone at least learn to say hello and thank you in Vietnamese before they leave. I did hear some complaints about the package tours from other guests there.

The Memorial House (It’s in the guidebooks) is definitely worth tracking down if you’re in the Old Quarter.

Cha Ca La Vong is one of the best meals I’ve had in Vietnam. I loved the dish so much, that I tried some other places on the Cha Ca Street but they were disappointing.

The version of cha ca I had at 69 Bar Restaurant was good, too, and it does have a cool atmosphere there, as the guidebooks say.

Lastly, two days was plenty for me. I prefer Saigon. If, like me, you are accustomed to Saigon, double your budget for food in Hanoi.
-Robert