Wednesday, May 5, 2010

How to save money in Kuala Lumpur

When you go to the KL Bird Park, before you buy your ticket, go directly to the restaurant, which is in the treetops of the aviary, and have lunch on the veranda. By the end of it, you'll probably have had enough of the birds and feel like you don't need to pay the entrance fee to see some more.

Despite all the signs saying not to feed the birds, they've obviously been tamed. I had some kind of black bird with a bright orange and yellow markings hop on my table and pluck the chicken out of my curry before I could react. This was on the placemat directly in front of me -- less than an arm's length away. If I was looking at a caged bird I couldn't have been closer.

The waiter brought me another serving, and I moved to a table further from the rail, but I was still menaced throughout the rest of the meal by a hornbill and a half dozen storks. And to think of all the hiking in leech-infested forests and bicycling through rice paddies that I've done to see their kind from a hundred yards away.

-Robert